“Acquitted: Season 1 and 2” (2018)
Developed by: Anna Bache-Wiig and Siv Rajendram Eliassen
Featuring: Nicolai Cleve Broch, Lena Endre, Anne Marit Jacobsen
In season one, Aksel Nilsen (Nicolai Cleve Broch), was tried 20 years ago for the murder of 18-year-old ex-girlfriend Karine Hansteen. Although he was first convicted for the crime, he was acquitted later following a decisive witness testimony from his childhood friend, Tonje Sandvik (Synnøve Macody Lund). Branded, he disappears from his home town Lifjord in Norway and makes his career in Asia. He lives with his wife Angeline and his son as a successful businessman in Kuala Lumpur. One day he receives a phone call from William Hansteen, father of Karine, who asks him for an investment in the financially troubled solar panel company in Lifjord. Aksel flies to Norway, where old feuds flare up and Eva Hansteen, mother of Karine and CEO of the company, fights him fiercely and convinces the police officer of the town to re-investigate the murder of Karine. This eventually leads to significant revelations regarding the night of the crime and the role of William Hansteen in the murder.
In season two, after an outrageous confession, William Hansteen is brought to trial for the murder of Karine. Aksel hopes that the truth will come to light and that he will finally be washed clean of the old suspicion. Although he receives support from prosecutor Amina Sahir, he once again finds Eva Hansteen in his way, who uses every means to protect her husband from imprisonment. When another girl dies, the investigation again focuses on the Nilsen family and Aksel’s brother Erik is arrested. Alone, Aksel now also has to free his brother from suspicion.
- After business success in Asia Aksel Borgen is back in his small town in Norway saving an important local firm. 20 years ago he was acquitted for the murder of a high school sweetheart. And his new family don’t know much about his past.
- The fight. Aksel do not want to give up the fight for a majority shareholder in Solar Tech. More and more people in the village are starting to see Aksel as an asset to the company and are willing to forget the past. Hansteen family is divided, part of the family do better bankrupt than to sell to the enemy. Cast: Nicolai Cleve Broch, Stig R. Amdam, Anna Bache-Wiig, Lena Endre.
- The fragmentation. Aksel will have to stay in Lifjord until he finds a new leader for Solar Tech. A conflict arises in the Hansteen family and Lars loyalty to his mother is tested when he is offered a job as CEO. Aksel’s family was hit hard when he left and he is trying to put things in order. Tonje seems Aksel’s only friend in the village.
- When Angeline and her son Tim come to Lifjord, Aksel has to tell his wife about Karine and his past, but omit some. Everything is fine for Solar Tech, but when Lars makes a gaffe, Aksel asks Angeline for help. Meanwhile, Eva is now trying to have the investigation reopened and is looking for things that the police may have missed.
- Angeline no longer believe that Aksel is innocent, and to convince her he needs Tönjes help. William’re looking for a new investment opportunity, and glances at the hotel. Eve tries to get Eric to testify that Aksel gets violent when he drinks, all to the suspicion must be brought again. Cast: Nicolai Cleve Broch, Stig R. Amdam, Anna Bache-Wiig, Lena Endre, etc.
- After receiving revealing images of Karine want Aksel take up the hunt for the killer. Solar Tech must do away with people and Lars will be forced to terminate their friends. Eva continues locate evidence against Aksel, and now it Tönjes testimony she has doubts. And the more Aksel looking for Karines killer, the more doubts the people of his own innocence. Cast: Nicolai Cleve Broch, Stig R. Amdam, Anna Bache-Wiig, Lena Endre, etc.
- Aksel’s suspicions about Per Olav increase when he finds out that he is beating his girlfriend Ase. William and Inger’s plans to expand the hotel gain fresh momentum now that Eva is on board.
- The police are looking for Aksel’s bloody t-shirt from 20 years back, but he can’t remember anything about the night Karine was killed. Eva’s behavior causes frustration and concern for her family.
- Aksel must choose between his two lives. After an unexpected confession and surprising DNA test result, the police are sure they have found the true killer, but Eva thinks something isn’t quite right.
- William survives the suicide attempt, and so Aksel is confident that he will be tried and convicted for the murder of Karine. But the young, newly appointed prosecutor sees things differently.
- Aksel creates turmoil in Lifjord when he starts digging into the past for evidence that could get William charged with murder. It turns out that it isn’t just William who has something to hide.
- Aksel digs further, desperate to convince Amina Sahir that there are grounds for a trial against William. Amina even begins to ask questions.
- The stage is set for a dramatic trial in Lifjord. Old wounds are torn open again, and new secrets are revealed.
- After William’s earthshaking revelations the mood changes towards Aksel, and an unexpected witness forces Aksel to relive the old trauma. Otto Haudemann pushes William and Eva to make an unpleasant choice.
- After the trial the village turns against Aksel in earnest. Eva will return to Solar Tech, and Lars has an important decision to make.
- A new tragedy strikes Lifjord and Aksel is hopeful that the Karine case can be resolved once and for all. Amina faces a difficult dilemma.
- The lies and secrets surrounding Karine’s death threatens to destroy everyone involved. When Aksel finally reveals the truth there may be fatal consequences.