“Keeping Faith – Season Two” (2019)
Created by: Matthew Hall
Featuring: Eve Myles, Hannah Daniel, Matthew Gravelle, Bradley Freegard, Mark Lewis Jones, Mali Harries and Aneirin Hughes
Megan: “People just don’t go missing, even I know that.”
Released recently on DVD is the second season of the Welsh drama “Keeping Faith” that features Eve Myles in the lead role playing a complex character in a very complex television show.
Faith, a small-town Welsh lawyer, is forced to cut short her extended maternity leave when her husband and business partner, Evan, disappears whilst she is on maternity leave following the birth of their third child. As the truth of his actions surface, Faith must fight to protect her family and her sanity.
The second season picks up 18 months after the cliffhanger of the first season, we find Faith reassembling her life after Evan’s unexpected return — and outrunning the demons he brought with him — while plunging into a new mystery.
While the first series was united by a central mystery, the second series without this felt messy and chaotic, with great performances unable to save the show from feeling more like a mess of stuff rather than a series with momentum and an engaging throughline.While this may not be the case, season one felt like a complete story that season two sometimes struggles to follow up.
There is no doubt that while this is a finely crafted show by people who definitely know what they are doing and hopefully where they are going this show rest on the performance of Eve Myles who has been many places in her career, finding herself at the centre of a bonafide hit both in terms of the number of viewers and it becoming a critical darling.
- We return to the story of Faith Howells some 18 months after her husband Evan returned to Abecorran in time to see his wife in the arms of Steve Baldini. Evan has pulled Faith into a dark and dangerous world and she’s still paying the price.
- After Madlen sacks her lawyer, Faith, supported by Cerys, step in and accept her murder case, which leads to conflict with Tom. In prison, Evan receives good news from a mystery person, Steve still holds a candle for Faith, while the tense relationship between Faith and Gael Reardon catches DI Breeze’s attention.
- Just before Faith is due to appear in court she must take her son to the hospital. So Madlen testifies despite Faith’s objections. Steve meets Faith and tells her news about Evan.
- Faith reveals worrying news as she continues to explore Madlen’s case, the Reardons threaten to ruin the Corran Energy deal, and Steve tries to play a dangerous game.
- Faith races against time to find the woman who could overturn Madlen’s conviction.
- Faith fights to keep her family together and restrain her feelings for Steve as Evan’s release date approaches. PC Williams has news that threatens to swing Madlen’s case.